Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter weekend rambling

Jesus is risen, Spring is in full swing, and Orlando is already hotter than hell. Despite the heat, I had a lovely, relaxing four day weekend. I got 10 hours of sleep on Thursday night, followed by a two hour Friday afternoon siesta. I love that word; it's fittingly like sleep party. I take my sleep parties seriously: I slip into my most comfortable pair of granny panties and an extra large tshirt, close the blinds as tightly as possible, and unmake the bed. I don't wake up until Eugenio frightens me, at which point I am always confused about who and where I am. I used to have serious insomnia, but now I can sleep like a teenager and I take full advantage whenever I can. On Saturday Neno and I went golfing. I don't golf. I drive the cart, read my book, and complain about the weather. Eugenio plays golfs and hydrates with beer -- his kind of sport. I played golf while drinking cerveza with Neno once. I don't care for beer, and I don't care for golf, but I'll enjoy either put together.

Easter slipped by like any other day, except I was off from work (thank you, Jesus). The jeaster bunny missed our apartment, but that's OK because I'm trying not to eat too many sweets. I have a sweet tooth, and like Jim Gaffigan says, my tooth owes my ass an explanation. Neno and I went to the 5pm mass with the other slackers. Good thing, because I'm sure the morning mass was packed; I hate crowds...especially with children high on sugar. I enjoy a more desolate, solemn celebration of Christ rising. When I was younger, the whole rising from the dead thing creeped me out, which is why,though confusing, I think the Easter bunny, pastels, and candy got lumped into the occasion. Truthfully, forever agnostic, I still find the death and resurrection gruesome and eerie -- if I had to decorate Easter I wouldn't choose pastels -- but I'm intrigued by the faithful and like the Lenten lessons of sacrifice, freedom, and forgiveness (forgive me for my honesty). I asked Eugenio if he wanted me to prepare him a basket for Easter, but he declined as he's hardcore and seriously embraces Easter. He and I are an interesting juxtaposition of comparable opposites. He can teach our hypothetical unborn children about Jesus, and I'll take the bunny and Santa -- bases covered.

Somewhat unrelated, but equally stream of consciousness, I just met a man in his 30s who was only recently released from prison. "I've been in prison since I was 16. This is all overwhelming." Wow, I bet. Talk about rebirth. He signed up for basic computer classes as a start. I pray he adjusts well.

No comments:

Post a Comment