Monday, October 1, 2012

I'm jealous of people posting and talking about the refreshing, chilly weather in their parts of the country. I love fall. I never get to experience it, but I love it. I also love soup. I love to eat soup in the fall. Dream big. It's still a hot mess in Florida, so I crank the AC down and pretend. I was craving tortilla soup yesterday, given this flood of autumn nostalgia, and at 5pm, which I normally wouldn't do, went to the store, bought the ingredients, and made it.

I'm in no position to give any advice on cooking whatsoever, but I must note that a key ingredient to the best tortilla soup is chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, especially if you love a spic.. Also, fresh lime juice as a final touch is a must. Lastly, if you really want to take it to a whole 'nother level, skip sprinkling the usual tortilla chips on top, and do as my mom always did: put a flour tortilla on the bottom, top it with cheese, then laddle your soup on top.

I'm at work and I'm hungry. This is the only time I look forward to leftovers.

3 comments:

  1. I never knew you were such a tortilla soup connoisseur. Who makes your favorite tortilla soup? I love Alamo Cafe's tortilla soup, guilty pleasure.

    In the Bay Area right now it's Indian Summer which means it's hot (upper 80's). It sucks because no one has air conditioning in this town because it's only summer for a week or so in the whole year. Be thankful for your AC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't say I'm a connoisseur, but I love soup in general, and especially tortilla soup. I would say my mom used to make the best tortilla soup ever. She made tortilla soup every christmas eve, but then she "lost the recipe" and started making a different soup sometime around 2005. I like to try different recipes to find one closest to what she made.

    I'm not a big fan of Alamo Cafe's tortilla soup, from what I remember. It's more thick and creamy, right? I like it more brothy. Las Palapas' soup was my fave restaurant tortilla soup. Aw,man, and I really, really miss breakfast tacos. There are no breakfast taco places here. I asked someone and she laughed, finding the concept of a taco you eat for breakfast amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breakfast tacos are something that you can make though. While I love other people to make them, I find that I do a pretty good job.

    ReplyDelete