Saturday, March 10, 2012

An older gentleman, a regular patron, just told me, "Your face looks good today. You did a good job!"

I'm wearing makeup for the first time in a a very long while, mostly to offset the fact that my hair is greasy and gross due to the effort I'm taking, per a hairdressers urging, to wash it less.

Ever since I paired blue Wet n Wild eyeliner with varying shades of purple eyeshadow for my first makeup attempt in 7th grade -- a look I carried on for three entire years for lack of better friends (I hate every single person who encouraged this look) -- I haven't a clue what I'm doing.  Even after watching all those YouTube videos. Speaking of which, I just bought $30 foundation from Korea off the internet because some cute, articulate 15 year old recommended it. We both have acne; mine's worse. Ingrid, I'm trusting you, girl.

So I appreciate the compliment from this very genuine, couldn't lie if he tried, man in his 70s. This man whom I once attempted to help recover his forgotten email password. His established password hint read "mi novia," so I asked him, "Well, what's your girlfriend's name?" He said, "I forgot."

"You forgot your girlfriend's name?" I asked without even hiding my amusement.

"Well, I forgot which one." he replied in all seriousness.

Not because I take it this fella has seen his fair share of fresh faces, but more because I'll take any reassurance I can get, I truly appreciate the compliment and feel better about my powdery face with clown cheeks because sometimes when I look in the mirror, which I do a lot, I guess to make sure things are per usual, I see a prematurely aging four year old who got into her mother's makeup...or Britney Spears circa 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment