Monday, September 24, 2012

This is a post I didn't intend to write until it happened.

Sometimes I get intense cravings for books or movies, like one would crave a pizza or Indian food. It's something synesthetic -- a full body and mind longing conjured up by cross wired memories and feelings painted on my mind and heart. I assume everyone experiences this, but maybe without verbalizing it; you just read the book or watch the movie again and attribute it to the words "I want to..."

Anyhow, right now I have a craving for Tuck Everlasting. I don't even remember the full plot or any specifics like character names, but I feel a warmth.  "You want to be here," it seems to say, making me want to return -- to read that book, to find that place. It's a scene of a cozy house in the woods with endless stack of pancakes, the smell of butter and maple syrup, and a kindly, plump motherly figure. I remember reading the book in class when I was younger and being so enamored with the scenes, so much so that I wanted to stay in them forever and it made me almost desolate to realise it wasn't possible; which is ironic and perfect, now that I over think about it, because it's somewhat fitting with the books' themes of life and immortality.

So I need to rent or buy Tuck Everlasting again. I sincerely hope it's not like finally getting that greasy slice of pizza you're mouth has been watering for, only to find that it has disgusting pieces of sausage with thousands of fennel seeds smothered all over it . Or like when someone excessively promotes a movie, raising your expectations to an impossible level. I really want to fully experience that cozy, maple syrup spiked feeling I keep getting. I want to run away for awhile to the Tuck house in the woods where we can read books and newspapers and eat pancakes all day. Does anyone remember reading Tuck Everlasting? I think it was required elementary school/early middle school reading. Was it like that? I'm probably romanticising it.

Edit: I just read a plot summary. Winnie was kidnapped by the Tucks. Kidnapped, ran away, potato potato.

My desire to go to that seemingly safe and comfortable yet ephemeral place probably has a more profound meaning than merely quenching a craving. It probably has something to do with my mother and a desire to take a break -- escapism, yes -- and make things easy for myself for a second. I haven't mentioned it here, but Eugenio and I will be moving soon. He'll be finished with his fellowship in July, so he's in the process of interviewing for jobs. It overwhelms me to think about uprooting and moving again, now that I'm finally settled. I finally have friends and a stable job; I finally have the I Hate This Place stick out of my ass and I'm in no hurry to put it back in while starting over again, interviewing for more jobs, trying to get my foot in the door I'm not thrilled about fully entering. Despite that last sentence, I'm trying my best to stay open minded and involved in the process and avoid my tendency to check out and let things fall where they may, my input and opinions left aside or, rather, buried inside. To keep this short and the least whiny possible, San Antonio probably isn't going to happen. So I'm going to take a break from fretting about where we will live to read my elementary school book. Then I'll get on with life, in this city or that. C'est la vie.

4 comments:

  1. Now I want to read it again too! When did we read it in class, 6th Grade? 5th Grade? Both. I remember reading it a couple times back in the day. I liked the bittersweetness of it. I remember feeling what Winnie felt. I remember the way the book described the woods and the sunshine always reminded me of our summers in the Bike Trails.

    Come to think of it, it's pretty similar to Twilight, right? I mean here's a family that lives forever and a girl who falls in love with one of them, right, it's her struggle with that? I can't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it reminded me of our time in the woods too.

    Now that you mention it, I suppose it has some similarities to Twilight (ugh). But from what I remember, it was so much better. When I think of Twilight I cringe.

    Ok, new book club starting right now. I'm going to see if it's available at the library for check out today. Let's talk after we've read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm glad you added the movie to our Netflix. We will see how it is

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sneakily put it at the top of the list! I've never seen the movie. I hope it's decent.

    ReplyDelete