Tuesday, January 11, 2011

dress code

I feel small and humiliated right now. My boss asked me to see her in her office after lunch. That's never a good sign. The topic? The dress I wore last Monday was too short. She gave me a pedantic, condescending lecture. "Some dresses are pretty but shouldn't be worn to work."

K, thanks, got it. She pulled out the dress code but couldn't locate any portion that specified skirt length, not that it mattered. I would have appreciated and been able to handle the news last Monday when I was actually wearing the scandalous frock. I'm not someone who wears skimpy clothes for attention. I actually disagree that my dress was too short -- it was two inches from me knee and little old ladies compliment me on it all the time -- but I didn't argue. Plus I'm not wearing the dress today -- 8 days later -- to prove my point. I just turned bright red (an embarrassing feature I can't control), said "OK," and smiled. She then added that my sleeves need to be "at least 4 fingers in width," an unnecessary comment considering I never wear sleeveless dresses or shirts and always wear a cardigan. Anyway, I agree with the dress code and never intended to show up in a mini skirt.

Blah. I won't make a habit of this bitter blogging, but I just needed to blow of some steam.

Inappropriately dressed,
hanna

2 comments:

  1. Tu jefa es muy loca! Of course they are nuts! Even old ladies would think your skirt is appropriate don't mind them my love. Your boss is just jealous because she doesnt have amazing legs like you.

    ReplyDelete