Sunday, June 12, 2011

educated citizenry

Although I joke and bitch a lot about paying my monstrous college loan debt while being utterly underemployed, I love and agree with this article from NPR about a book expressing that college education is more valuable in more ways than just the potential income that one might make in the end. College shouldn't be dismissed altogether, even though one could end up like me -- scraping by on a crap hourly wage that goes mostly towards paying $500 in loans each month.

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/11/137093258/professor-value-of-college-extends-beyond-paycheck?ps=cprs

I may be a lowly worker, but I know how to get along with anyone while hating everyone. Plus I can charmingly bullshit my way through anything (I went to a good business school). And nothing feels better than knowing that I'm more educated and cultured than...I don't know who, someone rich and embarrassing -- like Snooki.

I'm kidding (except I am proud I'm not Snooki). I actually came away from university feeling so small and stupid, as my horizons were expanded and sense of relativity awakened. Now I'm small, stupid, poor, and I know a lot of smart people who do amazing things, so I also have really low self esteem. But I would never vote for Sarah Palin...so that's a win for an "educated citizenry."

One day, driven by my low self worth but masked by my desire to help people, I'll acquire more education -- and more debts, of course -- and hopefully do something useful for my fellow man (whom I loathe). I have plans, but I don't tell people because I'm shy like that.

Edit: I just spell checked this post. College should offer spelling (as an elective course, maybe?)for those curious to learn how.

No comments:

Post a Comment