Thursday, July 25, 2013

I bought a treadmill and was so excited to finally have it delivered and set up yesterday. I was slightly worried, and amused, upon seeing the man flipping through the manual as he struggled to put it together. I paid an extra $80 to have it assembled assuming the person assembling it would know what he or she is doing. At any rate, three hours later he had it complete. We gave him a tip, thanked him for his work, and sent him on his way with a diet coke. Southern hospitality, man.

And then I tried playing with my new toy and it set off all the power in the room after 20 seconds. When we tried to remedy that with the breaker switches, we managed to turned off the power elsewhere in the apartment. Meanwhile, Felicity was tired and hungry and needed her bath. After some frustration, we eventually figured it out and were not without power all night. My treadmill just sat there, sad and useless.

Damn, I was so looking forward to running on it. This is my life now: running on a treadmill is euphoria. I'm instantly a much more pleasant person once I'm drenched in sweat. I'm sure I'm developing a reputation as the crazy lady who brings her baby in a stroller to the apartment gym. I try to get there in the morning when no one is around while Felicity is sleeping. If I work it right, I can get a decent 4 or 5 mile run in before she wakes up, but it doesn't always work out the way I hope and I'm left feeling like a lazy, unmoving blob some days. It's too hot outside and Felicity is too young for me to run with her in a jogger.

Anyway, I spoke to a lady in the office and she's sending a maintenance person over tomorrow to switch something or another on our breaker. Wait, is that even the right word? Or is it braker? What is it breaking? What is electricity? Why do I not know these things? I just want to run in place while staring at a wall; that's all I know.

Also, I haven't read a book or counted on my abacus or used my brain almost at all since Felicity was born and I'm afraid it's turning to mush, so I hereby declare that I will start reading again. They have boarding schools for babies, right? That would really free up a lot of time so I can pursue my hobbies full time again.


3 comments:

  1. 4-5 miles! You're a super hero. I was at 5 miles in march but I run too slow, it's too hot and I get bored after 30 minutes. And I doubt any one is thinking you're crazy for bringing Felicity to the dream. They're probably thinking you're a bad ass. You're already setting a great example of health and fitness for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of treadmill running. I know most people hate it. I hate the sun and the heat and applying sunscreen. It's not as hard of a workout, but I can avoid all those things and watch TV in the air conditioning. But once it cools off I'll buy a jogger and take Felicity with me to the park.

    ReplyDelete